Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

Default Insulating a raised floor ??

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:13:58 GMT, bendit wrote:

Sure, what you want and don't want to do is a most valid
consideration. Personally I'd tend to try to be flexible on a
effectiveness/convenience/cost basis.

Floor cost me £700 to get put in, so any heat savings and cost of
ripping part of it up, and putting it back down, has got to out way
the cost of doing it.

I would describe making an access hatch as "ripping part of it up". It
could be done much more subtley than that. Even better if it can be
done from inside a fitted cupboard or similar.

If costs are too much I may as well brick up the air bricks, and
accept that in 20 years time or so, the joists will have rotted, and
replace the lot with a concrete floor.

I get the impression that you really want a concrete floor.:-)

that's a lot of foam if I understand you right and wouldn't the foam
object formed breach the damp proof course by capillary action?

Doesn't cavity wall foam have the same problem of breaching the damp
proof course ??

It would tend to but a large monolithic block of foam would have a
much greater area to draw moisture from.

OTOH, foam insulation might be the answer to my 1st floor draught
problem, so thanks for bringing it up.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack