Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default better bandsaw cuts

wrote:
Is there a trick to making more accurate bandsaw cuts? Try as I might,
when I cut pieces out there is small ups and downs along the cut line.
I try to go slow and stay on the line or along one edge of it but stil
end up with some hills and valleys. My bandsaw blade is quite thin, may
1/4", do you suppose going to a thicker blade would help?

A deeper blade helps, yes. You should be able to get pretty smooth cuts
even with a 1/4" blade though, with only light planing necessary to
smooth it. I think the main purpose of a deeper blade, though, is to
keep the cut straight.

If you aren't getting that now, and don't want to buy a deeper blade,
there are a number of things you can look for to get a smoother cut,
including reducing vibration in the saw, ensuring the guides are
properly set to limit lateral movement of the blade, checking the wheels
for dirt, making sure the drive train is balanced, and properly
tensioning the blade. Fussy, innit?

er
--
email not valid