Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan

Default electric motor forward/reverse wiring?

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Aha! the image finally arrived. I see another problem as well.
That motor appears to not be designed to operate at 120V -- only at
240V, so the start winding is also a 240V winding. His is a
dual-voltage motor, with two 120V run windings in series for 240V, and
the center tap used to derive 120V for the start winding.

So -- it is a workable circuit for *your* motor and *your*
country's wiring -- but it won't work here in the USA. In particular,
even if he had a motor with a 240V start winding, the RUN/STOP toggle
switch would need to be DPST to open both hot windings for safety
reasons.

Thanks DoN
I've left out the earth, which is a third wire.
I thought that some parts of the USA had 240V system like here in Australia.
I thought also the drawing might shed some more light on the problem.
Hope I didn't confuse anyone too much.

Jordan