Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Cast Iron cylinder sleeving

nortonfan wrote:

Hi group!

I'm restoring a vintage Triumph motorcycle and discovered that the
alloy cylinder block (Wellworthy, I believe) is cracked, near the
exhaust ports, through the sleeve and cylinder block.

Replacement sleevers are no longer available from Wellworthy and I
would like to make new ones to press in after welding the cylinder
block. My question is: where would I find suitable cast iron pipe for
making the sleeves? I have access to a lathe and milling machine, as
well as welding capability.

The intent is to restore this machine but not as a daily rider. That
said, I would rather do the job correctly.

Thanks,
Norman C

How vintage? What year, model?

Considered going back to stock cast iron cylinders?

Might as well shop for a source for a set of them while you are
looking, on the likelyhood that there is a better chance of success when
there is a backup plan...

Rode a Norton 850 for a few years, as sole source of transportation,
had a couple Triumphs, and currently have a 69 Bonny project waiting
quietly to beccome job # 1 for a rebuild.

As others have suggested, save yourself the misery and source out some
sleeves from the automotive suppliers. At least that way, you can expect
the material to be suitable for the use from the start.

Cheers
Trevor Jones