Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Default SHOPFOX DEALER PLANER QUESTION

No, it doesn't. ISO is not a set of standards as the advertising
(advertising being the only real benefit of certification) would have you
believe. In a nutshell, you tell them what your company standards are and
they drop by from time to time and make sure that you have the documentation
to show that you are fallowing those standards. As long as it is on paper,
you have satisfied their inspectors. If your company standards say that
every third part is crap, as long as you have the documentation to show that
that is the case, you meet standards. They do not, nor are they capable of,
dictate any manufacturing process or procedure. We recently had an ISO audit
(yes, our shop is certified). At no time did the inspector come into the
shop area. They stayed in the office and looked over the documentation. Even
if they had come into the shop, they would not have any idea what they were
looking at. ISO certification has two benefits. (1) It is good advertising.
People don't know what it is but it sounds technical so they think it must
mean something. (2) It provides jobs pushing meaningless paper. Our largest
customer builds heavy jets. They do not require us or any of their suppliers
to have ISO certification. They know it is BS and would never rely on that
to ensure quality, they can't afford to be that lax.

"Leon" wrote in message
et...

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
And an ISO standard is not standard. It varies widely from company to
company.

I suspect that has a lot to do with which particular ISO certification

that
they go by.