Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Default Spraypainting tips

Dead blow hammer is a hollow headed mallet. It is partially filled with
lead or steel shot. When you swing it the lead transfers into the back
half of the head. When it hits a surface the shot travels forward and
transfers its energy into the head. This stops the rebound you have with
most other mallets. It also makes it sound like your using maracas in
the shop....

http://www.thorhammer.com/deadblow.htm

--
Steve Williams

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve B wrote:

When I DO put the lid on and smack it with a hammer, I use a rubber

mallet,
or a dead blow hammer, and cover it with a rag to keep the stuff

from flying
directly into my eyes every time. It should be seated, but doesn't

require
a beating.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but I dont know - whats a dead blow
hammer -? - a wooden block under a normal one?.

Andrew VK3BFA.