Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White

Default MT3 Collet Chuck Runout

snip
IMO, youd'd be better off to buy a Royal 5-C collet closer and set of
collets. Probably any adapter will introduce too much runout.

I don't know about that. The 5-C collet closer still needs an
adaptor nosepiece -- from the MT-5 spindle socket to the 5C -- plus a
protective cover over the spindle nose used for removing the adaptor.
This could introduce as much runout as a well-made ER40 collet holder
with a native MT-5 shank (which is what is being offered).

snip

I spent a while experimenting with my 5C collet adapter and a dial
indicator. I found an orientation that cancels out the runout of the
spindle & the adapter to a point where it was very hard to measure. I
marked the adapter so that I can insert it in the spindle with the same
orientation each time. It wasn't bad to start with, but it could
definitely be improved by checking the combination carefully. This is
partly a matter of luck, in that the errors in the two elements were
close enough that they could cancel each other out. YMMV.

Doug White