Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default MT3 Collet Chuck Runout

According to Robert Swinney :

Bob Swinney
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
gavaness wrote:

What runouts are you able to achieve with the MT5 ER40 collet holder?

Garen

No way to test, sorry.

[ ... ]

IMO, youd'd be better off to buy a Royal 5-C collet closer and set of
collets. Probably any adapter will introduce too much runout.

I don't know about that. The 5-C collet closer still needs an
adaptor nosepiece -- from the MT-5 spindle socket to the 5C -- plus a
protective cover over the spindle nose used for removing the adaptor.
This could introduce as much runout as a well-made ER40 collet holder
with a native MT-5 shank (which is what is being offered).

The benefit of the ER40 system is that a relatively few collets
cover the whole range, compared to those necessary for a 5C collet
system, which has a much narrower closure range, so you need more of
them to cover the whole range. If everything you want to hold is of
standard sizes, it is no problem -- but if you turn something do a
smaller diameter, and wish to hold it in a collet -- or if you want to
change between inch and metric sizes, the ER40 system can save you
money.

That said -- I use 5C collets in my 12x24" Clausing, and ER-32
(I think that's the size) in my Compact-5/CNC -- simply because each
came fitted with the proper adaptors. Oh yes -- also the Compact-5/CNC
is too small to accept 5C collets anyway. :-)

Perhaps the original poster should post just how much runout is
acceptable to him.

How much he will get -- with both the ER-40 and the 5C adaptors
will depend on how true the MT-5 socket is in the spindle.

The one disadvantage that I can see to the ER40 system is that
it will take up a bit more of the distance between centers than the 5C
would -- unless the 5C were mounted in a collet chuck (such as what
Bison offers), which is totally not needed in this case.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564