Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Rain gutter drainage - how?

"Zootal" nousenetspam at dead ice dot us wrote in message
The previous owner of my house took all of the rain gutters, ran them into
a 3" pipe, ran the pipe 10 feet away from the house and dumped it into a 3
foot deep hole full of rocks. He put a piece of plastic over the rocks,
and covered it with dirt. The only way I found it was that the plastic was
keeping water from draining and the grass above it was turning yellow -
otherwise I would have to dig up 100' of pipe hoping to find where it
drained to.

Is the a good way to drain rain gutters? The water table here is only 20
feet down, and if we get a lot of rain my basement starts to take on water
(I found this out the hard way - my basement was a foot deep in water
before I noticed lol). Dumping all of ths water 10 feet from the house
just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Its a good idea for a few years but those seepage pits tend to silt up and
become ineffective after a time.

You could put a diverter in so that when the rain is heavy, it runs over the
surface and is drained into a larger area of your yard.

As for 10 feet, I don't know where else you have to choose from, you can't
drain it onto your neighbors property but you probably can drain onto the
street if that is nearby.

You may need to dig up some of the pipe and the drain pit to get it to
absorb what you need and replace or clean the drain rock of silt. Replace
some of the solid pipe with drain pipe in a bed of drain rock.