Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal

Default Rain gutter drainage - how?

The previous owner of my house took all of the rain gutters, ran them into a
3" pipe, ran the pipe 10 feet away from the house and dumped it into a 3
foot deep hole full of rocks. He put a piece of plastic over the rocks, and
covered it with dirt. The only way I found it was that the plastic was
keeping water from draining and the grass above it was turning yellow -
otherwise I would have to dig up 100' of pipe hoping to find where it
drained to.

Is the a good way to drain rain gutters? The water table here is only 20
feet down, and if we get a lot of rain my basement starts to take on water
(I found this out the hard way - my basement was a foot deep in water before
I noticed lol). Dumping all of ths water 10 feet from the house just doesn't
seem like a good idea.