Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnR66

Default Plexiglass Cutting

"Steve B" wrote in message
news:mW0%f.387$QP4.185@fed1read12...
How do professionals cut plexiglass? I am going to need to cut some, as
well as rout some of the edges to make them fit into slots.

Would I be better cutting these on a table saw with a special blade, or
using a router blade that has say a narrow width? Maybe even taking more
than one cut, and using a fence as a guide.

I'm going to Google on this, just wanted to know if anyone did this sort
of thing. It has to be a quality finished cut.

Steve

Forget the $25 blade. The pros pay big bucks for the correct blades. I
recommend a narrow kerf version like some shown he
http://www.forrestsawblades.com/nomelt.htm
I also recommend a blade dampener/stiffener that cuts down on vibrations
that may transmit to the work.

There are special router blades for acrylic as well.

Feed rate is very important. Too fast may cause chipping, to slow may cause
melting. Plaskolite and Cyro have very good online fabricationg guides.

I fabricate acrylic display cases and such on the side. It can be a
challenging material to work with. Without the proper tools, forget it.
John