Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Upgrading to 300Amp electric service

"Toller" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
It depends on your needs and the size of the home. I know a couple with
a 7000 SQ foot home they have two 250 amp main panels. I was told 250
is the largest main home panels available but dont know if this is
true.

Frequently main entrance cable around here is alunimum, I would spend
the extra for copper from the meter can to the main breaker.

Why? The electricity doesn't know the difference.

Actually Al is better for heavy gague service entrance conductors. The
metal oxidizes less, it weighs less and it stands up to the elements better
than Cu if the jacket is damaged (due to the thin patina of oxide). You
only need slightly more metal to get the same resistivity as Cu but these
things are over engineered anyway. Al also expands less than Cu which is an
advantage for long overhead lines to reduce droop in the summer. Other than
that, in a poll, 4 out of 5 electrons don't care what metal they are in.

sounds like a big home have you included a standby generator for power
failures? thats $ well spent

Why would it be better spent in a big home than in a small one?

Rule of thumb, more house, more lights, plugs and loads. A smaller house
(~100SF) could justify so much current but it would need a big load like a
Kiln or an electrically heated pool.