Posted to uk.d-i-y
rookie

Default professional kitchen worktop fitting

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Cicero wrote:
I think you're being far too forgiving of this cowboy.

This job is a mess and I would suggest that you take a few more
photos and tell the fellow to remedy the work within 7 days or face
the prospect of being sued in the 'Small Claims' court.

I think the only way to go is a letter saying he has 7 days to sort it, or
you will get the worktops replaced and the job done by someone else and sue
him for the cost.

I've used IKEA worktops and the quality is no different from any other
AFAICS. They cut the same, with no splinters at all.

I was all prepared to cut my losses and attempt to repair the botch
myself. However based all the comments about the quality of the work
and your experiences with Ikea worktops I've rethought matters and have
sent a 'letter before action' to him informing him I'll take county
court action against him if he doesn't put the worktops right
(effectively replacing and cutting with a new blade) or give me back
the £180 plus compensation for the now useless worktops within 7 days.
Before doing so I contacted Ikea about the specific worktop in question
and they said it was a big seller (which means really big if Ikea say
that) and they'd not had any returns due to chipped mitres.

-Neil