Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default Plexiglass Cutting

Steve B wrote:
How do professionals cut plexiglass? I am going to need to cut some, as
well as rout some of the edges to make them fit into slots.

Would I be better cutting these on a table saw with a special blade, or
using a router blade that has say a narrow width? Maybe even taking more
than one cut, and using a fence as a guide.

I'm going to Google on this, just wanted to know if anyone did this sort of
thing. It has to be a quality finished cut.

Steve

I suppose I would count as "how the professionals do it" I repaired
windows for several years (After school at the local hardware store). I
cut plexi glass with a rig that looked like this

http://www.nebraskatool.com/images/MiscTools/013.jpg

Not sure if thats actually the one. Anyway - the cutter head could be
swapped between a Plexiglas cutter and a glass cutter.

The plexi cutter was a sharp point blade (hook maybe? been a long time).
The plexi sheet would be scored several times and then a
thing-a-ma-bob would be inserted behind the vertical rails to snap the
scored plexi. Started at the top and worked down. Glass the same way
except except scored once and I did not use the thing-a-ma-bob to snap
the glass I just slid to the right and pushed back to snap off the waste.

Anyway - Thats how this pro cut plexi many years ago. Today I would just
score with a utility knife and snap. Simple, easy and doesn't involve
motors spinning at thousands of RPMs. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about
power tools, but cutting plexi is not a place where you should use them.

Now - If we are not talking about plexi then...