Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default Burning smell from outlet

mm wrote:
On 11 Apr 2006 18:15:54 -0700, "BobK207" wrote:

wrote:
That outlet feeds another outlet downstream, looks like.
So, it probably wasn't the charger that overheated it,
but rather the other load. What else is not working
now that the circuit is off?

Best guess is that the screw terminals weren't tightened
properly and that caused the connections to over heat.

Replace the receptacle. BTW, I don't see a grounding wire
on this one
Jim,

Thanks for the response! The other load on that breaker is the
refrigerator. And as far as I can tell that's the only other thing
that went out with this breaker off.

I am not an electrician, and I hope someone who knows more than I will
comment on this.

But the refrigerator and a 110 room air conditioner are the biggest
thigns plugged into a 110 outlet.

I think when you put this together again you should continue to use
wire nuts b to b and w to w, and add a short length from the wire nuts
to the receptacle in that box. Won't that cut down on the number of
connections that the current to the fridge has to go through??????

Now it has two, one at each screw, but then you'll only have one. Is
that fair to say guys??? Even though he'll have three wires in each
wire nut?

If so, should he use copper wire for the short length, and a
copper-designed receptacle?

Does he need special wire nuts for aluminum?

This kind of sucks cuz I have to
turn the breaker back on for the night unless I want all my food to
rot. I put the outlet back in and flipped the breaker back on. Think
this will be ok until I can swing by the hardware store tomorrow?

After an hour, I would put my hands on the fridge plug where it goes
into the wall. AFAIK, it shouldn't be warm at all. (But I guess even
if it is bad, it idn't cause the problem at this outlet.)

And on the receptacle. It shouldn'be warm at all.

Plug something in to the problem outlet, even if you don't turn it on.
Its plug prongs might conduct the heat from hot connections to the
plug better than you can feel it when you touch the receptacle.

If nothing is warm, then you can leave it on all night. If you have a
smoke detector. Check in the morning. If nothing is warm, you can
out.

Plug in the charger in another outlet. Does it go in or come out very
very easy. It's the loose connections that get hot. Leave the
charger plugged in for an hour. Check if it is hot in the other
outlet. If it is, well, I'd be surprised.

Thanks,
Steve

I would take the melted outlet out of the path.

Turn off the breaker.

Clean up or cut off & re-strip the wires.

Wire nut the wires (black to black) (white to white)

Turn the power back on, you should be good to go unitl you have time
replace the outlet.

cheers
Bob

MM - Some good thoughts.
putting b-b and w-w with a short tail to the outlet is good practice.
Its called a pig tail. I always do it if I have enough room in the box.
Then, if an outlet goes bad you will not be in the situation of the OP.

As for Aluminum. I did not notice that in the image. Good catch. There
are special considerations for Aluminum. I cant comment on those.