Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

Default Plexiglass Cutting

"Steve B" wrote in message
news:mW0%f.387$QP4.185@fed1read12...
How do professionals cut plexiglass? I am going to need to cut

some, as
well as rout some of the edges to make them fit into slots.

Would I be better cutting these on a table saw with a special

blade, or
using a router blade that has say a narrow width? Maybe even

taking more
than one cut, and using a fence as a guide.

I'm going to Google on this, just wanted to know if anyone did

this sort of
thing. It has to be a quality finished cut.

Steve

What application are you using it in?
You probably really mean Lexan, not plexiglass. Plexiglass is
crap compared to Lexan.
Use a roto-zip or your router with a carbide bit. High rpm's and
keep it moving. If you stop, it will melt and make a
nasty(melted) hard spot as well as load up your tool. You _can_
score it and break it if it is a sheet. Make sure you score it
well. Once you have it cut and sand the edges smooth, you can
probably get it to clear up on the edges if you run a BIC lighter
over the cut edge. It's a little tricky, don't dwell in any one
spot. If you need to drill any holes in it, sharpen your drill to
a severe point, kind of like a pencil. That will help avoid
"breakout" of the hole when you drill a through hole. Good Luck.