Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default Burning smell from outlet

In article .com, wrote:

I know for a fact I've got aluminum wiring... When I moved in, my real
estate agent recommended that I replace all switches and outlets with
CO/ALR ones. Of course I didn't do it.

Why not? That was good advice.

Would you folks recommend this?

Absolutely. Using devices that are not rated for use with aluminum wire is
highly dangerous -- your roasted outlet is a prime example of what can go
wrong.

Another friend of mine told me to leave well enough alone, and
that I could stir up more problems by replacing things.

Your friend does not appear to be qualified to dispense electrical advice.

--
Regards,