Glenn Ashmore

Default Brass or bronze???

This question must be at least 4,000 years old but I must ask it again.
Is there an inexpensive way to determine if a metal is bronze or brass?

I have a pile of old pump bodies and impellers that I need to melt down
and cast into a seachest. I need to avoid zinc as much as possible.
Pump bodies are usually cast in phosphor or aluminum bronze but
sometimes they are red brass which contain zinc. The high brasses are
easy to spot but red brass and commercial bronze are darned near
impossible to tell by looking. I found a chemical test kit for
identifying copper alloys but it cost about $500. All I want to do is
find the zinc.

Is there a chemical that will produce a visable reaction with the zinc?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com