Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Reusing a compression joint..?

Ian Stirling wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:
What are your experiences of unscrewing a 22mm compression joint and
then re-using it without a new olive??

I've done it loads of times. It certainly wouldn't even occur to me to even
change the olive, let alone the entire fitting. I never use any jointing
compound or PTFE on compression joints.

One problem with this is you don't know how many times this has been
done.

I do. I did it yesterday for the first time.

The olive will work harden sooner or later, and stop working so well.

Yup. I don't like reusing old ones, but this was brand new. Whole new
pipework, bugger of a job, and then one screw joint leaked a teeny
bit..and it would be buried in the wall.

Anyway it IS buried in the wall now, and I hope I never have to see it
again.

There is a huge dichotomy between neat trim bathrooms and accessible
plumbing.

My feeling is that as long as it all lasts longer than HER desire for
another complete makeover (10-15 years) that's good enough for me..