Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

Default seneca falls star lathe update, redrive

thanks for your replies, replies to everyone below...

"Adam Smith" wrote in message
Extremely cool!

Congrats on nice work! Especially the part about it working first time!

thanks very much Adam. (whew! i was fishing for a compliment! was afraid
with the crabby old machinists here on this list not only would i not get a
compliment i might get a kick in the ass.)

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Those look nice. Are you now tempted to refinish the rest of
the machine?

Did you build the entire motor support, or is this just a
refurbishment of the original motor and layshaft supports?

I see that the last shot was taken at 1/18th of a second, which
explains why the spokes of the large pulley are not visible.

And I also see that you used a Fuji FinePix1300 to take the
shots.

And -- the last shot was taken at 2006:04:10 16:24:05 according
to the camera's clock.

Enjoy,
DoN.

hi don,
i like the rustic look of the rest of the machine, don't wanna disturb the
patina. :-)
heck yeah i built the entire thang from scratch. whew! that was a workout.
(thought you and others would remember the way the "ugly" (my words)
original was.)

here's the pic of the original... waddaya call it...? "motor and layshaft
supports"?

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/lathe6a.jpg

(all i intend to re-use is the step pulley and the barrel switch) (and some
of the steel bar stock)

that's pretty amazing you were able to glean all that info from my pics. i
didn't know that information was encoded in them. how'd you do that!?
jeez, i almost felt violated. funny you know the make and model of my
camera, if someone were to ask me i'd have to tell them i don't know/can't
remember!

here's a picture that i thought was funny. is this one 1/18 of a second
also? (it's turning/running) (used the flash) (it even stopped the pulley
on the motor!)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/redrive8.jpg

thanks for the compliment.

"jim rozen" wrote in message

Watch out. This lathe has NO lockout to prevent you from engaging
the half nuts and the longitudinal feed at the same time. If you
do this you *will* blow something up in the leadscrew drivetrain.

I may have mentioned this to you at some time in the past, it's
my standard "Star" lathe caveat.
Jim

yeah Jim, thanks, i remember you said that. sorry i didn't send you a thank
you directly, i went to try to find your address in the replies i got to my
original post and got distracted and forgot. thanks for making the pics of
your star lathe available to me. now the only thing is for me to figure out
what a half nut and a longitudinal feed is. :-) i'm kidding, i do believe
i know what the half nut is by taking apart the saddle and i assume the
longitudinal feed is what makes the tool holder move toward and away from
the operator... but i am still completely unsure how to activate them and
am afraid to blow it up. today i was figuring i'm going to need to get a
copy of that south bend "how to operate a lathe" book. hope that'll tell
me. usually i fiddle around with a thing to figure out how to use it but in
this case it seems i can actually cause real damage by fiddling around with
it to figure out how it works and so am afraid to do so. somehow the
controls on the saddle do not make sense. it seems as if if i move a lever
or turn a knob it causes the other knobs/handles to do something else and if
i switch them around they do something completely different, not getting
repeatable results. oh, and one more thing, the handle that slides/moves
the saddle along the ways, it's very stiff and tight, not at ALL smooth.
i'm assuming i'm going to have to take it apart and put in some shims
somewhere, haven't gotten to that yet. thanks again for the important tip!
(the gears inside the saddle have already been chipped/"exploded" but
there's enough teeth left on each one that it can operate ok.) (i was
hoping you'd get a kick out of how i routed the vee belt)