Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burning smell from outlet

If indeed you have a home with aluminum wiring
you could be sitting on a serious problem.
Today's incident may just be a taste of events waiting to happen.
(I don't mean to sound alarmist.)

See:
http://chrisdhilton.com/newsletters/aluminum_wiring.htm

and GOOGLE: CO/ALR or Aluminum Wiring

Dig up all the info you can before making any rash decisions.

Jim

Thanks for the info, I will read up on it. FYI, with nothing plugged
into this outlet for a few hours now, it is not hot at all, so it only
appears to be getting hot when a load is attached to this outlet. Does
this tell us anything else?

I know for a fact I've got aluminum wiring... When I moved in, my real
estate agent recommended that I replace all switches and outlets with
CO/ALR ones. Of course I didn't do it. Would you folks recommend
this? Another friend of mine told me to leave well enough alone, and
that I could stir up more problems by replacing things.