Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Default Burning smell from outlet

Agree with Jim, also the wire leads should be longer and pinched around the
threaded part of the screw, whoever did this wiring did a sloppy job.

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:

Hello,

My wife noticed a "burning plastic" smell coming from an outlet in the
house that a cell phone charger was plugged into. I pulled out the
charger and it was hot as hell, as was the outlet. There is also
discoloration over the outlet from the heat I guess? I shut off the
breaker for it, and unscrewed things, and here's a picture of what it
looks like:

http://www.mannydog.net/outlet2.jpg

Im going to leave the circuit breaker off until i figure out what to
do. Is this a big deal? Should i just replace the outlet? or is my
house about to burn down?

Thanks
Steve

That outlet feeds another outlet downstream, looks like.
So, it probably wasn't the charger that overheated it,
but rather the other load. What else is not working
now that the circuit is off?

Best guess is that the screw terminals weren't tightened
properly and that caused the connections to over heat.

Replace the receptacle. BTW, I don't see a grounding wire
on this one...

Jim