Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob V

Default Harbor Fright - Are you just a cheapskate? Tool Snob?

To me HF is great for those wierd 1 off tools that you may only use once and
cant justify spending big coin on. When you need that 7th fetser valve
changer - that you know you will only use 1 time - it doesnt make sense to
spend big bux on a quality tool.

Ie - Their 12" metal cutoff saw - I picked it up a while back for 39 bux - I
had to cut some flat metal stock for something I was building - I rarely
work w/ metal and it was better than using a hacksaw and for 39 bux - It was
worth my time to buy it.
Since its initial use (about 3 hours worth) Ive used it a hand full of times
and its been great.

To me - for those things - I dont mind buying HF - 39 vs 199 for the PC
metal cut off.
Now the tools I make my living with - I have no problem at all going top of
the line or very close to it.

Just my .02

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
OK, Its been awhile but after read some recent post about the high quality
of HF tools I think we need to re-visit this from a different point of
view.
Do you just try to buy the cheapest tools you can find? Does this mean
your work is solely based on how cheap you can make it? Are the two
correlative?
Personally, I find nothing more frustrating than fussing with a tool that
won't hold up to the rigors of life in my hands. Underpowered, noisy
pieces of cheap junk that fail to do the job asked of them.

Yes, I am a tool snob. But not from arrogance but from experience.
Twenty years + as a mechanic and 40 + years as a (hobbiest) funiture
builder have taught me a very important lesson. You can't make money or
enjoy using cheap tools. Yes, the Snap-On tools I have cost too much,
however, I still have all of them and they still work as advertised.

My father, grandfather, great grandfather were all cabinet and furniture
makers or lumber men. The tools they passed down to me along the way are
all surprisingly high quality or hand made. I hope one day that I can
pass to my son and grandson's tools I'm proud of. Somehow I don't think
anything HF makes will make the list.

Just ranting after a long visit to Lie-Nielsen to buy their new socket
chisel set. I don't really need them but as I said, I love a quality
tool(s)!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com