Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default MT3 Collet Chuck Runout

gavaness wrote:
I have a MT5 headstock on my lathe. I am toiling with the idea of
buying a MT3 collet chuck and a set of ER40 collets. I want to use a
MT5 to MT3 adapter between the spindle and the collet chuck. The
unknown is the combined runout of the MT5/MT3 adapter plus the chuck
plus the collets themselves. If anyone has been down this road, I'll
appreciate their opinions. Specifically, what runouts are you able to
achieve with this combination system? Thanks for your responses.

Garen Avanessian

Why not use an MT5 ER40 holder? I have one surplus to my needs, purchased for
use with a former lathe. It's ETM brand, only used a few times on a tool &
cutter grinder, like new but a tad dusty. Can let it go for 50% of MSC's price
if you want it.

I got a nice set of ER40 collets once, and got adapters to use them on all my
machines. Don't have one with a 5MT spindle any more. I have a 5MT lathe center,
NOS, carbide tip too ..

To email me offline, use http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html, do NOT reply to
this posting as my reply-to address is completely bogus in all ways.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington