Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default Harbor Fright - Are you just a cheapskate? Tool Snob?

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 02:56:04 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Leuf" wrote in message
.. .

That is bull****. Maybe YOU can't, but I have and do. Some of my
cheap tools have paid for my expensive tools. I have a Ryobi 9" band
saw that's made me more than 10 times what it cost, and it's still in
the shop in the shadow of its new bigger brother, which would still be
considered a cheap tool by many even though it cost 5 times as much.

On the flip side of that coin, a 9" Ryobi band saw is really over kill
considering that you certainly can use a coping saw or Craftsman Jig Saw to
do the same thing.

I have my grandfather's coping saw, but I wouldn't exactly call it an
heirloom I wonder does anyone even make a super deluxe coping saw?
It's gotta have nickel plating and a quick blade tension lever.

I think that the need of better tools is all relative to the quantity you
produce. With few exceptions better tools will speed production.

Yep. And if you feel like you are being held back by the tool by all
means go for the super deluxe version if you can afford it. But that
doesn't mean the previous tool wasn't worth having just because you
outgrew it. Until it breaks or I run out of space, that old Ryobi is
going to stay in the shop and reduce the number of times I have to
change blades on the new one, and use less electricity for the small
jobs. When you've got yer Laguna all set up for resawing and you need
to make one curved cut I bet you wish your old one was still around

-Leuf