Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Harbor Fright - Are you just a cheapskate? Tool Snob?

snip
Dave
You can't make money or enjoy using cheap tools.

"Leuf"
That is bull****. Maybe YOU can't, but I have and do. Some of my
cheap tools have paid for my expensive tools. I have a Ryobi 9" band
saw that's made me more than 10 times what it cost, and it's still in
the shop in the shadow of its new bigger brother, which would still be
considered a cheap tool by many even though it cost 5 times as much.

snip
Should everyone learn how to sharpen on a $50 chisel? Should I reach
for that chisel when I need to get some dried glue off my bench?

I'm not talking about the tools I consider consumable. The cheap putty
knifes, glue removers, saw blades for cutting nail imbedded wood,
screwdrivers used for everything except driving screws, etc. We all have
these and will continue to buy them as needed.

I'm talking about tools you love to use. Tools that make a difference when
used. Just try to plane a piece of curly maple with the $25 Chinese plane,
then grab the Lie-Nielson or the Knight smother. The whole point will all
become quite clear.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com