Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Harbor Fright - Are you just a cheapskate? Tool Snob?

"Shopdog" wrote in message
I have many HF tools, geeze where should I start, Lets see, the air tools
the angle die grinder is nice. The air drill-horrible. The wrenches -A
JOKE, measure them with a caliper they are no where near the measurment
they should be! The migwire, well I have no complaints there. Sometimes
there are good deals on the tools at HF, but I rely on my Craftsman hand
tools, I have yet to break a Craftsman ratchet or socket. I have no motor
tools from HF. And I sure as I'm standing here not going to spend my hard
earned money on SNAP_ON just so the snap on man can go to Cancun on my
dime. You think your paying high dollar for them tools, not hardly. I have
a friend who makes 70% on those tools. Hmmmm, makes me wonder, If I break a
Craftsman ratchet and a Snap on ratchet. I can take my sears brand run to
sears and have a new one in about 20 min, the snap on well I have to wait
until the next time he comes around. I think not. BTW, the friend that has
a SO business, yeah he owns 25 acres 3 boats 3 vehicles a plethera of
hunting/fishing equipment and 4wheelers 5 of them! He has one truck that he
runs and one that he leases out. THATS IT BOYS! we're in the wrong
business. We need to drive around and sell screwdrivers for 30 bucks a
shot.
Boy I can feel the heat from this post already!

Searcher

I used Craftsman tools when I started out as a mechanic in the 60's. But
after I started making weekly trips to Sears to have broken and worn out
tools replaced, I started buying Snap-On and MAC tools. Eventually, all but
a scant few tools were replaced.

One final straw was a Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar. While pulling hard on it,
the drive end twisted off and I fell backwards against the corner of a
workbench hitting me square in the middle of my back! Ouch! I borrowed a
Proto bar from a co-worker and it too twisted off.
The Snap-On guy came in, I bought a 1/2" bar from him, slipped a 4' pipe
over the end for more leverage and CRACK, the nut was loose and the Snap-On
bar was not phased.

Upon returning it to Sears, I was told that Craftsman tools were not under
warranty when used by the professional mechanic. I don't know if that true
today but it cured me. I do however, recommend them for the home mechanic.
For the limited use they receive in a hobbyist environment, they are fine.

In addtion, I could care less if my Snap-On (or other tool seller) makes a
fine profit from me. If I'm getting what I want, good for him.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com