Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

Default professional kitchen worktop fitting

"rookie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I've spoken with the fitter and although he admits that the joint
is chipped he isn't prepared to do anything at all about it - saying
that I'd seen the joint when he left and that the Ikea worktop was the
reason for the chipping (crap as he put it). He wasn't prepared to
return the worktops as I asked him to - I wonder why! Anyway, C'est la
vie! grr....

Since I can't get new pieces re-cut elsewhere since it would involve a
different worktop jig (correct?), it looks like I'm going to have to
pull the 2 joints apart and try and at least fill in, if not do away
with, the black void line using the forementioned ColorFill. Since the
tail of the U is 1cm short I can actually carefully push it's joint
apart from the dog bone cutouts at the bottom using a hammer and chisel
(obviously having undone the clamps before-hand . As for the other
joint, I think I'm going to try and open it up slightly at the top by
wedging something underneath and then after having applied some
protective tape to the laminate edge delicately run a sharp knife blade
down the join to severe the silicon. Then I'll carefully scrape away
the remnants from each edge. Finally it's the simple job of re-sealing
and re-clamping the joint How does this sound to people?

Thanks again
-Neil

btw. if anyone is thinking of getting worktops fitted in and around
Aylsebury get in touch with me so that I can warn you off the offending
fitters.

I think you're being far too forgiving of this cowboy.

This job is a mess and I would suggest that you take a few more photos and
tell the fellow to remedy the work within 7 days or face the prospect of
being sued in the 'Small Claims' court.

Even if you're in a hurry to get the kitchen finished it would be worth
waiting a few days before you attempt any remedial action either personally
or by employing a more competent tradesman.

Cic.