Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Default electrical expert in NJ? (or legal expert)

Doug said:

"Yes, indeed, you do have a problem here, because you're starting from
a false
premise: properly installed aluminum wiring is *not* a hazard."

Ray replied:

Look through and read the info at this website:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum/pl2p1.htm
Just continue clicking page forward on each page to get more
information. None of the connections have anti-oxidant applied. None
of the connections are pigtailed with the COPALUM connectors. None of
the connections have the 3M scotchlock wirenuts (purple ideal 65 nuts
are no good). Anyway, *properly* installed aluminum wiring is
installed a lot different now than it was 31 years ago.

My situation is different in that I have copper-clad aluminum which may
or may not be as much of a hazard. It wasn't on the market very long
and the repairs for straight aluminum do not apply.

To me the real issue is that I specifically asked the inspector to
check for aluminum wiring and he specifically stated the house had
copper wiring. It doesn't matter to me that Doug wouldn't mind having
aluminum wiring in his house, I didn't want it in mine. The bottom
line is I would have cancelled the sale if I had known about the wiring.