Posted to alt.home.repair
Okalanaenu of Oenokomolya

Default electrical expert in NJ? (or legal expert)

RayV wrote:
I posted a while back that I might have aluminum wiring in the house I
bought last May.
The original post is here http://tinyurl.com/qvdbb ).

Turns out I do have copper clad aluminum wiring throughout the entire
house. The sheathing is marked "Al Cu/clad" either 10/2 or 12/2
attached to a 20 or 15 amp breaker respectively. Since the house was
built in '75 I specifically asked the inspector to check for aluminum
wiring. He told me the house had none. I know, I should have checked
further before completing the sale.

I'm thinking he should have known for two reasons, the sheathing is
marked Cu/clad throughout the basement (unfinished) and the size of the
wires in the panel are 10 and 12 with mostly 15 amp breakers.

So the attorney says I would most likely need two things to seek
damages from the inspector:
1. An estimate to repair/replace the wiring. Should be fairly easy to
get an estimate.
2. An expert to testify as to the unsafe conditions caused by the
wiring.

Number two is where I'm thinking I will have a problem. Aluminum
wiring *IS* a hazard even if installed properly in 1975 by a licensed
electrician using a proper calibrated torque wrench to tighten all
connections. But the CPSC states in it's bulletin,
www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/516.pdf ,
that copper coated aluminum wire is not covered by any of the repair
methods in their bulletin.

So, does anyone know of an 'expert' in NJ that would testify that
Cu/clad aluminum is dangerous or of an attorney in NJ that has
experience in litigating botched home inspection

RayV:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry so much. Have a competent electrician look
over
the system to tell you whether it's safe. A home inspector is not
going to
notice everything. They'll likely notice stuff you won't, but you'll
also notice
stuff they don't, if you take care to look closely. This also annoys
realtors,
which makes it all the more fun to do...

Chances are your house's copper-clad wiring system is safer than a lot
of
solid copper ones in earlier houses. The old wire had purer copper,
which
was nice, and if properly installed it was safe, but it's often got
crumbly and
rodent-eaten insulation. You'll find wires twisted together without
solder or
nuts (just yesterday I found a wire looped around another then bent
over.
This was carrying current for 30 years). You'll find massively
overstuffed
junction boxes, no boxes at fixtures, fraying SE cable, rotten old
Zinsco or
FPE service equipment, 15 amp circuits 'protected' at 30A, rusty BX
cable,
grounds wrapped and soldered around pipes,

Can you sue the home inspector? Legally, maybe. Ethically, I would say
no.
You are obviously fairly knowledgeable about wiring, and recognized the
'Cu/clad' markings. Our home insp. missed stuff, some of which I
caught
later -- but such is life; we can not expect to insure against
everything.
But seriously, I don't think you should worry too much. The big
problem is
the oxidation, and the cladding prevents that. Don't use back-wired
devices,
and keep your screws tight.