Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Default Harbor Fright - Are you just a cheapskate? Tool Snob?

Robatoy wrote:
Hello, my name is Rob. I'm a tool snob.

As am I. I've learned the hard way over the years that the only day I'm happy
with a really cheap tool is the day I pay for it. Every other day is filled
with accomodation and regret. Regret that I didn't buy enough tool for the job.
Accomodation to make up for the tool's shortcomings.

I bought a 4" Craftsman jointer when I was young and stupid because it was
cheap. I later found that it was incapable of jointing anything much bigger
than a pencil. I traded up to a 6" table top Delta. That still lacked
capacity. I ended up with an 8" North State that I wish I had bought when I got
the first one.

I've had to deal with two POS jointers for all these years. Why? Because I was
too cheap to lay out the cash required for a decent tool.

Are there better jointers? Sure. But what I look for these days is the most
bang for the buck. I generally are attracted to what the magazine ratings refer
to as "Best-Buys".

I finally put my money where my mouth was when I went looking for my first band
saw. I bought an 18" Rikon and am completely satisfied with it. Fine
Woodworking declared it a "best buy" about three years ago and so I bought one
when Woodcrafter first started carrying them.

I don't want any more crappy tools. Harbor Freight is suitable for buying
magnets and clamps...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE