Posted to alt.home.repair
John

Default Trench/ditch digging

When I use the term "trench" I am simply looking for a cut in the dirt to
lower the vinyl sheeting into. No one will be going in the trench. I
really had a narrow cut in mind, but I understand there may be problems
working with a narrow backhoe bucket that deep. Also, I know the trench
will be half filled with water. For that reason, the trench will be filled
immediately, especially if I can come up with the best way to dig a narrow
trench.

As to the effect on others' property, I have already covered that with the
inspectors. Downhill from my lot is a creek. The inspector said there
would never be a house there. However, I am well aware that I can't have a
drop go on to this property.

Other unmentioned items include the fact that the neighbor's sewage goes
through a clay pipe across the "trench" location, then under my house on the
way to the street. It's really the city's problem, but the only way they
can fix it is to run a pipe through still another's property, though it
would not be under our house. It gets more interesting as we go, but the
bottom line is that the city will help me out as long as they don't have to
run the sewage pipe through another's property. I will be talking to them
about an alternative to the leach field.

I'm not worried about the neighbor's fence falling in the ditch. I've
already dug two holes five feet deep AT the fence. It is a stable
situation. Two other digs confirmed the soil condition and the extend of
the water table.

At this time, it seems more likely that I will have to use a trencher and
will thus only have a 30-inch cut. I'm not too sure if I can keep the water
away from my house with this shallow cut.

John

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Several problems with your idea.

A ten foot deep trench is unsafe, many people have been killed with
cave-ins, it will have to be shored. If you dig next to a fence, the fence
will fall in carrying some of your neighbor's yard, digging this deep next
to your house will cause the foundation to collapse unless it is deeper

than
the hole you dig, which is doubtful. All that water will soften the edges
adding to the cave-in problem.

A leach field will not handle all the water that you are talking about,

you
will need to drain to a watercourse that can handle it.

"Tom W" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm with you John on the whole hiring of the Engineer. That sounds
very expensive. But it is a very valid point. You don't want to get
fined for dumping into the sewer or anything like that, and you
probably don't want your neighbour to take you to court for damaging
their property. I think the solution would be to do the work yourself,
but do some research (like talking to a building inspector, land
scaper, etc) in your area to see how they would solve the problem and
what the options are. That way you would keep the costs down, only use
up a little of your time, and protect yourself. As for diggind the
trech itself, what about one of those mini excavators? They're not too
wide (but I'm not sure on the width) and should be able to dig down 10
feet. Your plan sounds good to me but I'm no expert (and maybe that's
why it sounds good).