Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Harbor Fright - Are you just a cheapskate? Tool Snob?

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
OK, Its been awhile but after read some recent post about the high quality
of HF tools I think we need to re-visit this from a different point of

view.
Do you just try to buy the cheapest tools you can find? Does this mean

your
work is solely based on how cheap you can make it? Are the two

correlative?
Personally, I find nothing more frustrating than fussing with a tool that
won't hold up to the rigors of life in my hands. Underpowered, noisy

pieces
of cheap junk that fail to do the job asked of them.

Did you read a post here that referred to Harbor Freight as "high quality"
tools? I sure never saw such a thing. What I've seen universally have been
statements that there are some good values there and you have to watch out
for some stuff. The general rule of thumb (perhaps a bit tongue in cheek)
is that if it has a motor, don't buy it. That still leaves a good amount of
stuff that is well worth buying.

I've bought some stuff with a motor as well - not much, but some. I've
posted here before that in a moment of need I bought a $19 grinder there.
I've put it through all sorts of abuses and it's still running strong. I
imagine it will break at some point but so did the $120 Snap On grinder that
preceeded it. Right when I needed it the most.

Yes, I am a tool snob. But not from arrogance but from experience.

Twenty
years + as a mechanic and 40 + years as a (hobbiest) funiture builder have
taught me a very important lesson. You can't make money or enjoy using
cheap tools. Yes, the Snap-On tools I have cost too much, however, I

still
have all of them and they still work as advertised.

A lot of us have equal or more experience with a lot of tools as well and
some of us even hold as honorable that thing called a tool snob. I do. I'm
not one, but I sure don't think ill of a guy who is one. I've got a mixed
bag of tools. Most are good to very good quality. There's a ton of stuff
out there that is very good. It sure does not have to say Snap On to be
very good. I won't pay the money for Snap On tools. Don't need to.

My father, grandfather, great grandfather were all cabinet and furniture
makers or lumber men. The tools they passed down to me along the way are
all surprisingly high quality or hand made. I hope one day that I can

pass
to my son and grandson's tools I'm proud of. Somehow I don't think

anything
HF makes will make the list.

I buy my tools to use them and to use them reliably. If my kids end up
getting them, then fine. Right now I'm happier that they get use out of
them. I don't care what happens to them later on. In reality though - I
have no reason to doubt that my non-Snap On tools will pass down just
nicely. My Snap On grinder won't - it's in the landfill.

Just ranting after a long visit to Lie-Nielsen to buy their new socket
chisel set. I don't really need them but as I said, I love a quality
tool(s)!

Cool. A good rant goes right along with the right and privilege to be a
tool snob. Just be careful what you suggest about those who don't buy what
you choose to buy. Remember - there's a lot of very good tools out there.
They come from a lot of places.

--

-Mike-