Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default

Default 70s Stereo Receiver only plays FM in MONO

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 22:38:31 -0400, wrote:

You guys are SO young! g

I built a number of these from kits way back when.

I lived in Yonkers and could see Armstrong's tower on the NJ side of
the Hudson - but never listened to his 50 MC experimental station -
too young. Armstrong was from Yonkers.

I was building single toob FM regens that used slope detection in the
50's

My first real tuner was a Paco kit built in the 60's with a magic eye
tuning toob. Back when FM played nothing but classical and way into
the night with no damn commercials whatsoever. The good ole days.

I later added a stereo decoder that appeared in the RCA toob manual.
Which turned out to be a futile exercise as there was only two stereo
stations at the time.

Second was a Heathkit receiver with a discrete decoder inside the
cabinet - must have had 10 coils in it.