Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Was Immer

Default 70s Stereo Receiver only plays FM in MONO

I have an old stereo system from the 70s that has an 8track,
record player and tuner + aux

Anyhow, it has AM, FM mono and MPX

But on MPX it plays mono only... I am unsure what to look for.
I first thought it was the stereo lite that was broken, but I
tested the voltage going to the light and it is absent.

What should I look for?

I replaced all the capacitors in the entire board. I did not
touch the little ceramic capacitors. I tested the 2 diodes.

The model is an Elgin RM-4392 but I cant find any thing
concerning a service manual.

What should I look for? All capacitors (aside from ceramic)
have been replaced.

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 28
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Was Immer wrote:
I have an old stereo system from the 70s that has an 8track,
record player and tuner + aux

Anyhow, it has AM, FM mono and MPX

But on MPX it plays mono only... I am unsure what to look for.
I first thought it was the stereo lite that was broken, but I
tested the voltage going to the light and it is absent.

What should I look for?

I replaced all the capacitors in the entire board. I did not
touch the little ceramic capacitors. I tested the 2 diodes.

The model is an Elgin RM-4392 but I cant find any thing
concerning a service manual.

What should I look for? All capacitors (aside from ceramic)
have been replaced.

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 28
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Maybe the VCO adjustment, if you can find it. Pretty common problem on older
units. It will be a potentiometer near the stereo decoder IC. Tweak it a bit
each way - if nothing happens put it back - you may have been adjusting the
separation control. If the stereo light comes on reliably, you're done.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Was Immer wrote:
I have an old stereo system from the 70s that has an 8track,
record player and tuner + aux

Anyhow, it has AM, FM mono and MPX

But on MPX it plays mono only... I am unsure what to look for.
I first thought it was the stereo lite that was broken, but I
tested the voltage going to the light and it is absent.

What should I look for?

I replaced all the capacitors in the entire board. I did not
touch the little ceramic capacitors. I tested the 2 diodes.

The model is an Elgin RM-4392 but I cant find any thing
concerning a service manual.

What should I look for? All capacitors (aside from ceramic)
have been replaced.

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 28
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Many of these old sets had a MPX (Multiplex) setting, but you needed a
Multiplex adapter to decode the second channel.

You guys are SO young! g

I built a number of these from kits way back when.
Have a look at this link...

http://www.somerset.net/arm/fm_only_stereos.html

Regards
Lee in Toronto
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Was Immer

In regards to how it was built... No ICs, just coils and
transistors.

I have a different unit that has the mpx decorder IC so I can
tell the difference. This one has only coils and ICs.

Worked fine up until last week. Then all the sudden I lost the
stereo and now plays only as mono.

The stereo light will not come on, even when I tune the station
well, and attach an enternal FM antenna (didnt need to do that
before, but I tried none the less).

As mentioned I replaced all the capcitors aside from the ceramic
ones. There are several dozen ceramic ones so I dont know which
I would have to.

Not sure where to look since this has no mpx decoder, which
general area. I also tried to adjust the pots but that did
nothing, I returned them all to their original positions.

In regards to some other person saying the radio needs an
additional decoder IC, stereo worked fine up until about a week
ago. Something failed, not sure what.

Any tips or ideas where to look? Which I could find a service
manual for this model. I tried to flip around a few
transistors... What I mean by this is I traced back from the
stereo light and replaced the transistors with same ones from
other parts of the board. The reason being I dont have any
exact replacements and did not want to wait for an order to
come. This did nothing. But I only flipped around a total of 4
transistors.

Thanks for any help.

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 28
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Was Immer

One additional questions regarding this unit that wont play FM
Stereo:

Would anyone be able to cross reference it with another unit. I
am trying to find a SAMS service manual but cannot find it for
this unit.

The unit is a AM/FM 8track with BSR record player.
Manufactured by ELGIN

Model: RM-4392

Chassis:
23F 4060
SR-1594 --- I believe this is actual chassis #, but both are
wrriten.

The manin board number with tuner on it:
1610471

I'd really love to get this unit back to %100, i have so many
memories with it.

The main board has NO ICs, only transistors and coils + pots.

Thanks.

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 28
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Was Immer

One more question regarding my stereo system that will play only
FM mono.

As I mentioned I replaced all capacitors except the ceramic
capacitors. Someone has told me that ceramic capacitors rarely
fail and to not bother replacing them unless I see them are
physically cracked or broken. Is this true?

Any other means I can test the ceramic caps?

If I dont need to bother with the ceramic caps. All I need to
focus on are the resistors (which are easy to test) and the
dozen+ transistors & zenor diodes (do these fail? how are zenor
diodes tested, must I also unsolder one end to test?)

THANKS again

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 28
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

wrote in message
.. .
Was Immer wrote:
[...]

But the guy said that it worked in stereo, with no addiditional parts, then
just failed overnight ...

If you have tried adjusting a couple of pots that you found in the right
area, these may well have been VCO and separation. The other very common
thing to give stereo dropout on these older MPX decoders, is the setting of
the demodulator coil. It only needs to be off by a fraction - certainly,
not by enough to be able to actually hear the characteristic demodulation
distortion that you get, when it is a long way off - for the 19kHz pilot
tone output to drop below the threshold at which the decoder can use it.

You should be able to find the demodulator coil easily enough. It will be
the one closest to where you've identified the decoder circuitry to be, and
will probably have a plain black core ( others in the IF strip and RF often
had colour painted cores - pink, white - in these older sets ). It will
likely have a couple of diodes nearby. Only adjust using a suitable trimmer
tool, NOT a screwdriver, as this will split the core and lock it solid. Make
small adjustments, and take the tool away each time, and wait a couple of
seconds. Some of these older decoders were slow to lock when pilot tone was
detected.

Zener diodes can be checked by measuring the voltage across them, to see
that this corresponds to their declared voltage rating. Ceramic caps are, in
general, reliable, but it's not unknown for older ones, particularly disc
types, to go leaky, or even short circuit. Unless you have a schematic to
give you a clue, the only real way to check them is to lift one end, and
measure with an ohm meter. Good luck with it.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian D

I had a mid 70's Sony receiver that did that. The cause was the
lamp itself was open and obviously an integral part of the stereo
decoding circuit. I just wired a resistor parallel to the lamp and
the stereo was operational without the lamp. I think I tried a 1k
resistor and it worked, so I just left it. As I remember, there
was no voltage across the open lamp, but voltage was appeared
across the parallel resistor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Was Immer" wrote in message
ng.com...
I have an old stereo system from the 70s that has an 8track,
record player and tuner + aux

Anyhow, it has AM, FM mono and MPX

But on MPX it plays mono only... I am unsure what to look for.
I first thought it was the stereo lite that was broken, but I
tested the voltage going to the light and it is absent.

What should I look for?

I replaced all the capacitors in the entire board. I did not
touch the little ceramic capacitors. I tested the 2 diodes.

The model is an Elgin RM-4392 but I cant find any thing
concerning a service manual.

What should I look for? All capacitors (aside from ceramic)
have been replaced.

Have you ruled out the AM/FM?MPX switch?

It's usually the simple things, and switch failure on 70s gear is rather
common as the contacts oxidise.

Dave