Bob Powell

Default Rebar welding

"SteveB" wrote in message news:AQ_ob.106775$Ms2.67010@fed1read03...
To do some decorative work with rebar, should I use a wirefeed or stick weld
with 6010?

Steve

As the others have said and for all I know, anything will get the job
done.

I made what is best described as a 10' square grate from a couple
hundred feet of 1/2" and 5/8" rebar, welding a complete saddle-shaped
ring around each point of contact i.e. where each horiz & vert bar
crossed. Each joint had four separate short welds to complete the
ring. Way overkill but I figured completely filling in a ring at
each contact created a smooth surface, no cracks to hold moisture, so
maybe it would resist corrosion better. Used MIG with .035 flux core
wire and 75/25 gas. Went fast, clean and painless - 640 individual
welds total that took only an hour once it was tacked together. The
..035 wire was a good match for the weld shape, came out looking OK, no
problem with undercut.

Bob