Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Terry Given

Default Scope intensity markers, why not

John Larkin wrote:
On 29 Mar 2006 05:40:30 -0800, "Ancient_Hacker"
wrote:

Way back in the 1950's, Waterman came out with a scope, mil version was
the AN/USM-24C. A mediocre scope- AC coupled only, 5MHz bandwidth,
poor triggering, but it did have one really neat feature-- selectable
100/10/1/.5/.2 microsecond intensity markers. They made risetime
measurements incredibly easy-- much easier than the usual routine with
lining up the xy graticule lines. Plus they looked really keen-o.

I've never seen this feature on any other scope.
Any ideas why the big guys like Tek and HP didnt implement this
feature?

On the digital scopes, you press "measure" then "rise", and it
computes and displays it for you. Digital scope is to analog scope as
calculator is to slide rule.

John

pish tosh. there are numerous jobs analogue scopes are better at than
digital scopes. Ballast, for example - my 7904s are excellent, but the
puny TDS224 weighs less than a wendys super-combo

Cheers
Terry