George E. Cawthon

Default chemistry question

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:44:48 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:
SNIP

I have difficulty believing anything else is in a box
labeled as Trisodium Phosphate! If it does, then it
violates laws related to labeling products. I have two
boxes, one old one fairly new that are labeled TSP and both
do not mention any other compound, nor would I expect them
too. Now if you have a product that is labeled as a
cleaner, or a cleaner with TSP, who knows what would be in
it. Recheck the label on the box. If it is labeled as TSP,
it better be TSP.

Anyway sodium carbonate is known commonly as washing soda.
There is no more relationship between sodium carbonate and
trisodium phosphate than there is between TSP and sodium
chloride.

I have a tub of Red Devil brand cleaner labeled TSP/90. The "TSP/90"
is printed in a bold font about 3/4" tall. Above that, in a much
smaller and lighter font, it says "phosphate free". The ingredients
are "sodium metasilicate". The instructions for use say it is "a
trisodium phosphate substitute".

Any that spends 30 seconds reading the label would know that this is
not real TSP, but I could see where someone in a hurry could mistake
it for the real thing.

R,
Tom Q.

True. But TSP/90 sounds like 90% TSP, so I would think this
is a near case of labeling fraud.