jim rozen

Default Hardinge lathe help needed

In article , dogpoint says...

I have Hardinge TFB lathe (won't cut threads) and I need to remove the
spindle.

Of course my first question is 'why?' It's my understanding
that once you remove the spindle you pretty much ruin the
bearing set, and then this has to be replaced. So maybe
you are changing the bearings because they're bad anyway.

The person you need to talk to is Gunner here, he will probably
reply. If you perform a google search, he has detailed the
exact steps to change HLVH bearings, in a former post of about
two years ago.

I've had the smaller hardinge lathe spindles apart, but
the HLVH headstock is somewhat different (uses a preload
cylinder, which slides over the spindle OD) and more
finicky.

Jim

please reply to: