Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Stainless steel nuts galling on stainless steel bolts

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:24:58 -0500, spaco
wrote:

So, I want to fasten things together outside where they will see all the
weather that is there. In order to be able to disassemble the
components years later, I use stainless steel bolts and nuts that I buy
from Fastenal. Sounds good to me, but guess what? The threads gall
when I have to take an assembly apart just a few months after they are
installed! Almost every bolt has this problem.
Smarter now, I have heard that "you can't do that"! You can use
stainless steel bolts, but with plain steel plated nuts, for instance.

My question: To those of you who know what I'm talking about, what
other solutions do you use?

Pete Stanaitis

I use various types of Anti-seize compounds. Typically copper based as
I scored a full case of large cans of them sometime back.

Works for me..but then Im not doing marine work either...shrug

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist