Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

Default Towel rail repair and fitting advice needed.

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:01:35 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 19:08:36 +0100 someone who may be Mike Halmarack
... wrote this:-

It's a tempting level of versatility but people keep telling me that
summer heating is most economically done with gas. Maybe not for much
longer though.

Running a 15kW boiler to heat some pipework, floorboards, a hot
water cylinder and a towel rail is not particularly efficient,
compared to 100% efficient immersion heaters. However, a lot depends
on the duty cycle and electricity tariff. Modulating boilers also
add to the difficulties of calculating what is best.

However, just to run a towel rail, a 120W - 240W immersion heater in
an oil filled towel rail is probably going to be a better bet than a
boiler that can modulate down to 5kW driving a water filled towel
rail.

I appreciate the detailed explanation. I don't think I'd ever be using
a boiler to heat just a towel rail. Certainly not a modulating boiler
anyway, unless I invest in one 25 years younger. :-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.