Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

Default Towel rail repair and fitting advice needed.

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:17:55 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:27:40 +0100 someone who may be Mike Halmarack
... wrote this:-

I bought a water heated towel rail from eBay. It has some dents in the
lower horizontal rail. Does it look like I'd be able to heat the
joints at both ends of the rail and rotate the dents to the back
without losing the water seal?

If you are careful and don't mind the possible loss of finish at the
joints then this may be possible.

I did initially wonder if the chroming was done after assembly making
the chrome continuous but on looking closer I see a dull grey line
defining each joint.

Do you have two suitable heating
implements and a means of rotating the pipe.?

I have a paraffin blow lamp that I can use if I can find a paraffin
supplier and I'm going to buy a gas torch to replace the blow lamp for
general plumbing use. Then again, I wonder if it would be best to heat
the tube from the middle in an attempt to equalise the temperature at
each end.

I'm considering a pair of padded stilsons for the leverage but would
be happy to hear of a better solution.

Also, would the flow be best going in at the top and return from the
connection at the bottom?

Yes.

Thanks for the advice.
--