Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default Raised Panel End Grain Sanding

On 8 Apr 2006 21:26:10 -0700, "Krog7D7" wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

To give you all more information....

.... snip of some very high-end machinery in a production environment

Something that is interesting......some have mention going up very high
with the sanding on the end grains. I need some more specifics....;

Are you guys suggesting like going to 220/320g or even higher?
400/600g?

Yep. If you are only sanding to 180, would recommend going to 320 on the
end-grain. When sanding to 220, I would go to 400 grit. I've never tried
sanding at any higher grit on wood than that. It seems to burnish the
end-grain and make the coloring come out more consistent with the top and
side-grains.

Thanks for the feedback.