Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 70s Stereo Receiver only plays FM in MONO

Was Immer wrote:
I have an old stereo system from the 70s that has an 8track,
record player and tuner + aux

Anyhow, it has AM, FM mono and MPX

But on MPX it plays mono only... I am unsure what to look for.
I first thought it was the stereo lite that was broken, but I
tested the voltage going to the light and it is absent.

What should I look for?

I replaced all the capacitors in the entire board. I did not
touch the little ceramic capacitors. I tested the 2 diodes.

The model is an Elgin RM-4392 but I cant find any thing
concerning a service manual.

What should I look for? All capacitors (aside from ceramic)
have been replaced.

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 28
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Many of these old sets had a MPX (Multiplex) setting, but you needed a
Multiplex adapter to decode the second channel.

You guys are SO young! g

I built a number of these from kits way back when.
Have a look at this link...

http://www.somerset.net/arm/fm_only_stereos.html

Regards
Lee in Toronto