Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Jason

Default I need to cut a large hole in sheet metal.

Why not. I'll post some photos within the
next few days.

"Bruce L. Bergman"
wrote in
message
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 09:16:28 +1000, "Peter
Jason"
wrote:

My problem is to fix the mess left by a
long-departed builder who installed a
boiler
half above a roof and half below it. Thus
the service panel is sealed into the roof
and
now I have to cut another access to service
the gas regulator.

Holy Stupid Designs, Batman!...

Forget cutting an access hole through the
sheetmetal to fix the
boiler long term, because then you'll have
to deal with rain leaks...
Sounds more like it is time to rework the
boiler and/or the roof so
you have proper service access.

Stick some pictures of what you've got
there now (and how you get
access to it now) in the drop-box, and
people can make educated
suggestions on a proper course of action
that will look good, be
fairly easy to build, and won't break the
bank. Include distance and
roofline silhouette shots so people can get
the 'theme' of the
architecture.

I have several ideas on building a little
roof or housing over the
unit, but random guessing wastes time
without seeing the start and end
points.