Old April 7th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Jason

Default I need to cut a large hole in sheet metal.

Need a 9" dia hole in a 20# sheet metal
surround of a boiler.

The hole must be neat and cut in situ.

Is there a gadget constructed like a compass
that when rotated often enough will cut such
a hole?

Rather like the typical rotating glass cutter
used for cutting large holes in plate glass.

Please help, Frank

Old April 7th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Peter Jason wrote:

Need a 9" dia hole in a 20# sheet metal
surround of a boiler.

The hole must be neat and cut in situ.

Is there a gadget constructed like a compass
that when rotated often enough will cut such
a hole?

Rather like the typical rotating glass cutter
used for cutting large holes in plate glass.

Sure. It's a circle cutting attachment for a plasma cutter.

GWE
Old April 7th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob May

A nibbler will do the job very nicely. Followup cleaning with a file can
make a hole that just belongs in the piece of sheet metal.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Old April 7th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
Need a 9" dia hole in a 20# sheet metal
surround of a boiler.

The hole must be neat and cut in situ.

Is there a gadget constructed like a compass
that when rotated often enough will cut such
a hole?

Rather like the typical rotating glass cutter
used for cutting large holes in plate glass.

Please help, Frank

Careful work taking small bites with a pair of left or right cutting snips
will make a good hole of this size.
Don Young

Old April 7th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

In situ is so complex - and in this case it might be best to
just say while it is mounted on top of the boiler or in a water deep
basement or in the .....

For the case naturally - you could use trammel points or a Plasma / gas torch
circle cutter but put a carbide scribe and cut a hole like glass but all the
way through.

I surmise you have a boiler with a cover that has an 8" hole and you want to
put on a 9" header pipe or some such.

Otherwise it would be easy for most sheet metal shops in town.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Old April 7th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Grunke

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:27:48 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

Need a 9" dia hole in a 20# sheet metal
surround of a boiler.

The hole must be neat and cut in situ.

A makeshift trammel bar of wood (1 x 2" for ex.) with a tool steel cutter
should do fine with that thin guage--pivoting on a small bolt.

Or a saber saw, with a circle-cutting guide and a toothless blade, the
kind with carbide grit available at most hardware stores.

Ken Grunke

Old April 7th 06, 09:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Jason

Thanks for all replies, I found the following
after much looking:
http://www.mk-diamond-saws.com/image...tter_small.jpg

and

http://ignitiontools.com/auctionpic/...E-CUTTER-1.jpg

and

http://www.trilug.org/~chilcote/imag...e-cutter-s.jpg

and

http://zenstoves.net/Supplies/CircleHoleCutter.jpg

Regards, Frank

news
Jason wrote:

Need a 9" dia hole in a 20# sheet metal
surround of a boiler.

The hole must be neat and cut in situ.

A makeshift trammel bar of wood (1 x 2" for
ex.) with a tool steel cutter
should do fine with that thin
guage--pivoting on a small bolt.

Or a saber saw, with a circle-cutting guide
and a toothless blade, the
kind with carbide grit available at most
hardware stores.

Ken Grunke

Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup
Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Old April 7th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Peter Jason wrote:
http://www.mk-diamond-saws.com/image...tter_small.jpg
http://ignitiontools.com/auctionpic/...E-CUTTER-1.jpg
http://www.trilug.org/~chilcote/imag...e-cutter-s.jpg
http://zenstoves.net/Supplies/CircleHoleCutter.jpg

All of these tools are meant to be used in a drill press, for the
stability. I have used a circle cutter in a hand drill, but it was a
much smaller hole (4" diam) and it was tricky. If you do it, be very,
*very* careful. Use the very slowest speed that you can and keep a very
tight grip on the drill. The problem is that the bit will grab and
bind. Depending upon how flexible the boiler surround is, it may very
well be impossible with a hand drill.

Bob
Old April 7th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My boiler sides and top come off fairly easily- weil-mclane gold oil
boiler.

Dave

Old April 7th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

All of those will be a disaster when used on thin material and large
diameter. They are normally used in a drill press and the work securely
clamped down. When used with a portable dirll the cutting edges will dig
in and tear the metal or flip the portable drill (and user).

There is a circle cutter used by sheet metal installers that has a
tramel point on one end, and a pilot bushing on the other. To use, mark
the center, install guide, use a spiral cutter bit in an electric drill.
Don't have a link to it.

Peter Jason wrote:
Thanks for all replies, I found the following
after much looking:
http://www.mk-diamond-saws.com/image...tter_small.jpg

and

http://ignitiontools.com/auctionpic/...E-CUTTER-1.jpg