Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Raised Panel End Grain Sanding

George wrote:
"Krog7D7" wrote in message
ups.com...
No matter what setups I use when the panels are stained....the end
grains come out very dark and splotchy.

I know the big companies sand end grain effectively. What are some tips
everyone has? I've read some of the other posts but people speak in
generalities.

Your problem is more likely to be the finishing than the sanding.

Seal the endgrain so it won't absorb so much.

Bingo.

Two ways come to mind that
are commonly used. First is to sand with super fine paper to heat the wood,
closing the pores and hardening the end grain - burnishing. Second is to
use a wash coat of sanding sealer like a 1# cut of shellac.

End grain always absorbs more stain or finish than long grain.

It is quite likely that the other companies are not staining thier
panels. They may be toning them instead, which is the application
of a colored film finish, typically on top of a clear sealer coat.

You should be able to get good results using 1 lb blond shellac to
seal the panel and then go over that with a darker shellac or
laquer or polyurethane with dye added. Then your protective top
coat.

Some woods (even within the same species) tend to be blothier
than others.

--

FF