Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default Raised Panel End Grain Sanding

On 8 Apr 2006 00:20:44 -0700, "Krog7D7" wrote:

Hoping someone can help...

I operate a small door company and we're having a problem with raised
panel end grains.

We have a very expensive shape and sand machine....all set up correctly
etc...

No matter what setups I use when the panels are stained....the end
grains come out very dark and splotchy.

I know the big companies sand end grain effectively. What are some tips
everyone has? I've read some of the other posts but people speak in
generalities.

I need specific tips....any help appreciated.

I can't give you specifics on the machine, but I have found that sanding
to at least one to two grits higher than for the non-end grain parts makes
the finish come out much closer to the rest of the piece.