Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default telephone wiring HELP needed !

Hi mm,
I never have a problem with folk "horning in", as long as they
are accurate and/or clarifying/correcting something! Good job,
IMO; thanks.
Pop
--
"Never forget that everything Hitler did
in Germany was legal." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"mm" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 18:08:58 -0500, Beowulf
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:30:03 +0000, Pop inscribed to the world:
==== It depends on a lot of things, but mixing them up
would -probably- never be noticed. Keep red to red and green
green and you should never have a problem.

Do you mean keep all the red wires from the inside phone lines
on the same
pole/terminal of the (not sure what to call it) junction box,
and the
green wires on the other terminal?

Hope I'm not horning in on POP, but on the theory that beow
will try
to finish this tonight: Yes, and at the other end of the wire,
say
it's a wall plate, connect the red wire from the 4-conductor
wire to
the screw that is connected to the short red wire that goes to
one of
the spring wires in the socket that the modular cord plugs
into.

And if you ever make your own modular cords, make sure that the
red is
the second from the left (or third, I don't remember) when the
modular
plug is held with its tang on the top side (or the bottom, I
don't
remmember, but compare with the end another modular cord and do
it the
same way.)

FWIW, with the phone hung up, the red lead should be
negative
w/r to the green wire. There's a bout a 99% chance the wires
coming in from the telco will have that DC polarity correct,
but
when things seem 'funny' it's worth checking out.

You lost me at hello.

I would put it: If the phone worked fully before the phone
company
broke it, you had it right, so it is still right.

OK that's not the same thing, and I can't say exactly what was
meant .

==== No, not for standard, plain old telephone service.
You
can cut them off even with the jacket if you wish to get them
out
of the way. Only the two wires are necessary.
Actually, some people use the other two wires for
intercoms,
things like that. But you don't need them.

Ok i will just use the green and red wires where I connect them
to the
junction/terminal poles on my basement rafter (where the main
phone line's
two wires attach to those two poles [bolts with nuts])

Right. That thing has room for plenty of wires.

==== Just for grins, when you checked it at the "demarc",
did
you make sure you had YOUR house wiring disconnected? To be
certain, always disconnect the house wiring from the demarc
before testing.

ok i did not know that.

In my case, that is automatic, because I have to unplug the
house
before I can plug in a phone. Don't iknow about other cases.

Also, don't let them come into your house without telling
them
you are NOT authorizing any charges of any kind for them. I
let

In Verizon in Baltimore, I just wanted to get a radio station
filter,
which iiuc, are free if you are having problems, but there was
NO way
to talk to someone at the repair number. It asked some
automated
questions, and said "they might call before they came". Now my
description made it pretty clear the problem was in the house,
but
they didn't say they would call first, and I was afraid to
complete
the signuup.

A while later I got closer to the problem -- too complicated to
describe -- and I think when I clean things up, it will
probably go
away.

one clown in thru my garage doors once, and he looked up at
the
box on the way by, and commented on the neat wiring job. I
received a BILL for "inside services" from the telco! They

Wow.

OTOH, Verizon here actually spent 90 minutes fixing a problem
for a
nearby friend, including what I didn't see but was a burned out
wire
under the large size wall-phone plate in the kitchen, and they
didn't
charge him anything. Apparently he thought a phone line surge
broke
the wire, even though they have a surge suppressor in the
basement,
and according to my friend's wife, they didn't touch that.

didn't get away with it!

Good to know, I will keep them out of my house!