Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Raised Panel End Grain Sanding

"Krog7D7" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hoping someone can help...

I operate a small door company and we're having a problem with raised
panel end grains.

We have a very expensive shape and sand machine....all set up correctly
etc...

No matter what setups I use when the panels are stained....the end
grains come out very dark and splotchy.

I know the big companies sand end grain effectively. What are some tips
everyone has? I've read some of the other posts but people speak in
generalities.

I need specific tips....any help appreciated.

Seal the endgrain so it won't absorb so much. Two ways come to mind that
are commonly used. First is to sand with super fine paper to heat the wood,
closing the pores and hardening the end grain - burnishing. Second is to
use a wash coat of sanding sealer like a 1# cut of shellac.